[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 04:42:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The problem Milton (and McTim) is that I don't think anyone believes in that
>  kind of incantatory market fundamentalism

Tell that to the 4 new providers here in Uganda who have invested
hundreds of millions of USD only after the end of our duopoly.

<snip>

>  Whether having access to the Internet is of sufficient (and fundemental)
>  significance to warrant being a "right" is something to discuss...

but that's not what is being posited, this is:

"'right to the Internet' should include certain rights to what is 'on'
the Internet, and also to own and co-construct the Internet (cf
co-constructivism in education)."

Which IMO, we already have, hence my objection, after all, it seems
silly to me to demand something one already has.

>  But suggesting leaving the whole matter to whatever shows up after the
>  market has done its "magic" is to belie any knowledge of history, any
>  experience of the real economic and social world and dare I say, even common
>  sense.

This is your suggestion, not mine.  Historically, in this very real
economic and
social location, our experience is that the PS working within the government
policy framework has increased teledensity dramatically.  For me, the *magic*
is the improvement in the lives of folk who gain the ability to
tele-communicate.

--
Cheers,

McTim