[governance] UK monopoly power, was SHOULD BANDWIDTH BE METERED?

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Apr 15 21:20:12 EDT 2008

John Levine schrieb:
>> Yes, since BBC introduced its laudable service, a regular/low price
>> DSL connection isn't sufficient anymore at least in my area to watch
>> videos on the net.

> In this particular case, I'm surprised that the other ISPs don't make
> arrangements to mirror the Beeb's streaming content on their own
> networks.
This is exactly what some think the recent Comcast-Bittorrent Inc. deal is
about: The costs don't come from selling DSL lines to end customers, but
from peering the uplink traffic across network boundaries. And then it
might become a network Neutrality issue. If they mirror only traffic from
/specific/ applications or sources, like the BBC, the ISPs have to monitor
the traffic closely and make decisions about application layer issues.
See <http://techdirt.com/articles/20080331/185542711.shtml> for the whole
argument.

Best, Ralf

BTW: My new position and research project:
<http://bendrath.blogspot.com/2008/04/deep-packet-inspection-or-end-of-net-as.html>
     governance at lists.cpsr.org