[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:31:23 EDT 2008

Milton,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>  Simply this: I prefer to call the decision to redistribute a reasonable
>  amount of wealth to people on the margins of the infrastructure to
>  achieve meaningful expansions of access a "policy". You prefer to call
>  it a "Right."

I think that the end of the world is nigh, I have found myself in
agreement with you on 3 emails in the last 24 hours!

Since much of the world has some sort of policy set that attempts to
do this, I feel that dressing up what is already in place (with the
exceptions I gave before) with a new name feels like a meaningless
rebranding excercise.

>  The problem with your approach is that the billions of people who can
>  afford to pay for access and who are not on the margins might ask why
>  they need to pay for a "right" that others don't have to pay for.

In addition, folk will get their hopes up when they hear that they
have a new "Right", as I said before;
"It'll just be another empty promise left unfulfilled."

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim