[governance] Network Neutrality - A key IG issue ... ?

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Apr 15 13:27:27 EDT 2008

McTim wrote:
> hullo again,
>

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM,  <nancyp at yorku.ca> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>  Indeed at OttawaU there are a number of people including Michael Geist who are
>>  exploring Net Neutrality. At this point it seems a duality of issues have
>>  become somewhat narrowly focused upon.  First, the discussions regarding the
>>  international oversight of the Domain Naming System.
>
> howzat a net neutrality issue?

I think this is a theme for a workshop addressing net neutrality, which
is of course a key IG issue. The DNS as centrally managed today under
those infamous contracts with the USA is vulnerable to the whims of the
black-and-white neurosis dominating the "Western democracies". Witness
the blacklisting of gTLD domain names by the Treasury Dept. (more than
3,700 domains blacklisted just because they display the word "cuba" in
them), and so on.

McT, Nancy is obviously not talking about just the net of machines
running BIND...

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org