[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 14 14:08:47 EDT 2008

Milton

Rights and markets are both important parts of the political economy of a
society, and there cannot be an either or. You know that any developed
country has a huge welfarist expenditure which is rights based. Do you
propose that it should be withdrawn?

The issue then is to recognize what aspects of the society are to be
governed by a rights based regime and what with a market exchanged based
regime. And many areas will be mixed areas, and elaborate political-economic
stratagems go into managing this mixture, at different levels for different
things. All these issues are a matter of political determination of  a
society, and this determination remains in  a dynamic flux as societies
change. We need to place the Internet in this complex political economy
matrix, and explore what factors are relevant to it at any given time, and
what's the state of these factors in different contexts.

> Articulating a right to Internet in that case could mean cutting back on
> the right to health care or education or some other good.

This exactly is where you are very wrong, in not recognizing what the
Internet means or may mean to developing societies. In ICTD activity we are
trying to transform access to (and participation in) health and education by
using the Internet. Now if this transformational role of Internet is proven
and recognized in enabling access to basic needs, which themselves are
recognized as rights, instead of the Internet competing for resources with
these needs, it can changes the context of 'rights or markets' political
economy consideration. It may mean that a society begins to consider
Internet as a right. It wouldn't be wrong to do so, would it.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org