[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 12:26:19 EDT 2008

McTim,

The issue of a "Right to the Internet" is rather different from the means by
which one accesses the Internet i.e. whether through a paid service (your
local water board) or some other...

What a "Right to the Internet" does is to establish that a public good is
understood to be realized through the Internet being made available to ALL
within the community.

How it is delivered or how this availablilty is practically ensured (by the
State; by the private sector through incentives, regulation, Public Private
Partnerships; NGO's; or other) really doesn't matter.

The State, as the representative and means for assurance of the realization
of the public good is the ultimate guarantor that that benefit is available
(that that Right is enforced).  Ultimately, in many jurisdictions Rights
such as these become elements of the law and enforceable through the court
system cf. human rights, gender rights etc.etc. and subject to tort.

The issue of owner, co-ownership, public regulation etc. is of course at the
heart of such issues as Net Neutrality.  In a "Rights" based regime the
Right of the State to support measures for the public good trump the rights
of private owners to dispose of their property as and how they wish.  This
at least at the theoretical level has little to do with how the Internet
"grows" etc.etc.

MG