[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 14 09:02:08 EDT 2008

Bill

>I was going to follow Meryem's suggestion that for easier scanning subject
lines be changed to reflect the contents, but >I'm unable to think of a
focused >topical tag that captures all the bits in this particular
conversation.

I have done it.

>Your formulation of access as a right is more bounded than Parminder's
elaboration re: commercial vs noncommercial >spaces etc. It's certainly an
important >topic and one on which I can imagine a well structured
discussion.

I suggest we have a workshop on it then. As for my commercial /
non-commercial spaces distinction, it comes from the distinction between
market-based approaches and rights-based approaches which as I point out in
an earlier email, is almost the staple of development discourse today. I
used 'commercial and social/ political (non-commercial) possibilities/
activities' phrase because I thought that on this list opposing market based
approach to a right based approach would find even less understanding/
acceptance. I tried to speak of the issue in North-South neutral manner,
without bringing the 'development angle specifically', but that's what I
really want it to lead to. So, OK if you prefer it this way, I am speaking
of market based approach versus rights based approach to IG. Does it make
sense to you now?

As to whether the access issue at all belongs to IG, or global IG, this is
indeed an interesting point. Before I argue my position on this, I wonder
what really is the substance of the 'dev agenda in IG' you propose if
access/ infrastructure issue is entirely taken away from it. I do not want
to look like trying to push you in a corner on this, but I am really really
very curious. What other areas and issues really constitute the substance of
dev agenda. Not the process, in which terms you always define the DA. Can
there be a process without some amount of definitiveness of the substance
(substantial issues) it serves? I myself do see a lot of non-access issues
as dev agenda, while seeing access also a centrally implicated issue in any
dev agenda. Just want to be sure there is some common ground of
understanding between us on this. APC is kind of defining its principal IG
related strategy in terms of access, so this debate does become important,
when you interpret some IGC's resolution to mean that access just doesn't
constitute IG and should not be discussed at the IGF.

>The only obvious way to get around this would be to claim the right's
implied by international human rights agreements, >but I'm skeptical we'd
get all that far with this angle.

Yes, we do plan to do that. And for that purpose the CS needs to build the
initial concepts and discourse, and the initial momentum, which is partly
the intention.

>*Sorry, but I do think you are presenting caricatures of the views and
activities of people you've not talked to, processes >you weren't involved
with, etc.

This is a strange assertion. Do only those who know 'those people' and have
participated in the 'processes' have the right to talk about them. Sorry,
but to clarify the point, should I then say that you have no right to speak
about 'development processes' because you have not been involved and are not
close to the people who are involved in development etc. I say this just to
show how untenable is your above logic.

>McTim has made the same point re: technical and administrative orgs.

Don't know what you are referring to. Though generally I know McTim keeps
telling me that I should not be speaking that much about IG policies etc
because of my inadequate technical knowledge and non-peer-ship with
technical minds and what he calls as technical community. Are you agreeing
with him?

> You should talk to John Gage at Sun and others who were involved and then
decided whether working in industry by >definition means that one cannot
give a damn about social empowerment etc.

I thought we were having a higher level of discussion than to be told
business people can also be good people. I have heard such retorts from the
less intellectually oriented when one discusses structural issues about
capital's and business's mal-influence over policies but I did not expect it
from you.

> I think this is an overly totalizing view of a broad range of actors and
institutions.

> wouldn't prejudge with a sweeping assertion that everything sucks and must
be changed.

No, I am not doing either. Just advancing arguments regarding the
limitations of an exclusive market based approach, in trying to advocate an
alternative (as an addition/  corrective) right based approach to the
Internet. This for the purpose of persuading others about the advisability
of the IGC putting its weight behind at least opening up a discussion on
this.

>*Right, I think that commercial provisioning of infrastructure etc in not
intrinsically incompatible with the wider set of >economic, social and
political activities >you mention.

Of course it is not. Rights based approaches are not incompatible with
market based provisioning. We have right to education, to health etc in many
places while also having commercial provisioning of education, health etc in
the same area/ place. So perhaps, it not I but you who may be creating false
binaries, which I never meant in the first place.

Parminder

  _____