[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Mon Apr 14 08:10:21 EDT 2008

hi parminder and all

I haven't been able to follow all of the workshop
proposal threads, but APC would certainly support
a workshop advocating a rights based approach to
internet governance - we've seen constant erosion
in content focussing on rights and IG since the inception of the IGF process..

i'm not sure that a rights based approach to the
internet (though very much at the core of APC's
vision as per the APC IR charter:
http://www.apc.org/en/pubs/briefs/policy/all/apc-internet-rights-charter)
is the appropriate formulation for the IGF, but i
imagine you're advocating a workshop that would
look at a rights based approach to internet governance?

obvisouly, dsicussion of rights to the internet
would be necessary in rationale/background
etc..  but if i understand correctly, what would
be appropriate for the IGF, is what you refer to
as the 'requisite IGF regime' in relation to rights

karen

     governance at lists.cpsr.org