[governance] RE: enhanced cooperation

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Apr 13 04:23:18 EDT 2008

>It is of great concern that while Nominet, ISOC and ICC are actively pursued
>to comment on enhanced cooperation as per what is described as
>multi-stakeholder process of consultation, IGC is cold shouldered even when
>it writes a letter requesting inclusion in the process (even if the letter
>went after the 2006 process).

See my other email.  Likely Nominet took up the
offer to meet with Nitin and then responded
further in writing.  ICC's contribution was
different, a response to the first open
consultation trying to identify the scope of
issues the IGF should address -- ICC wanted
enhanced cooperation separate. Sent before
Nitin's "come see me" offer.  In light of para 71
it's no big surprise ISOC (IETF) would be asked
for an annual report.

>I think we need to discuss this challenge to what is considered as
>multi-stakeholderism in IG circles...  and who can pass off as civil
>society. Takes us back to the 'what is CS' discussions on this list.
>
>And I speak of not only IGC, but of all and any CS groups. Apparently none
>were consulted. Does a consultation with governments and existing IG
>institutions like Nominet and ICANN constitute multi-stakeholderism. Or even
>by including ISOC, and its IETF group.

Nitin asked any interested person to contact him
and or see him, I guess Nominet took up the offer.

Para 71, regarding enhanced cooperation asks all
relevant organizations to provide annual
performance report.  So really no surprise ICANN
ISOC (IETF) would be asked (I am actually not
sure why ISOC, but that perhaps depends on what
enhanced cooperation is, of course something we
don't know.)

A letter to Mr Sha asking which CS organizations
have been consulted is a good idea.  And for a
copy of Nitin's 2006 report.  Mr Sha did meet
with some individuals (me included) in Rio, but
not as consultation about enhanced cooperation.
We could also ask him to define what he means by
enhanced cooperation. Keep any questions as
simple and direct as possible.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org