[governance] RE: enhanced cooperation

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sat Apr 12 11:48:52 EDT 2008

Le 12 avr. 08 à 16:52, Adam Peake a écrit :

> The only consultation process I remember was Nitin making an open
> invitation for anyone to contact him. Not sure my memory's right,
> but I think it was at the end of one of the open consultations last
> year (May, September?).  He said people should feel free to contact
> him, and he had a room at the Palais des Nations for a few days and
> his door was open to anyone.
>
> No idea who he might have spoken to.

This consultation happened happened in 2006, not 2007, since Desai's
report was sent to the UN SG in late 2006.
This was at the time when inputs on IGF agenda setting were also
requested.

Actually, I've found through some googling that Nominet (UK) sent its
contribution to Desai on 27 June 2006. In its letter, Nominet refers
to Desai's "request that Nominet contribute to your current
consultation". Which means that contributions has been expressly
requested by Desai, and that this wasn't a consultation through
informal corridor's discussion. Nominet's letter at: http://
www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/7716_060627_Enhanced_cooperation.pdf

Furthermore, ICC's input on same issues are dated March 2006 (http://
www.iccwbo.org/policy/ebitt/id5871/index.html)

During May 2007 open consultation in Geneva (preparing Rio IGF), many
participants (among them many governments) asked about this. Desai
answered (http://www.intgovforum.org/May_contributions/
IGF-23May07Consultation.txt):
">>CHAIRMAN DESAI:  The --  Are there any others? Okay. Let me begin
first by a
word on something which is not the subject matter of our discussion.
And that
is enhanced cooperation.  I had reported to you a little earlier.
Basically, if
you look at the text of what came out of Tunis, unlike in the case of
IGF, in
the case of enhanced cooperation, the process was not specified.  It
was just
said, "Launch a process." Nothing more was said as to what sort of
process or
what was expected.  There's absolutely no indication given, unlike in
the case
of IGF, where it's very clear, where there's a whole long paragraph
specifying
terms of reference.  A lot of things were specified in the case of
IGF. So,
essentially, what the Secretary-General did was to start a process of
consultation, which we did.  For six months, I personally met with
people to
find out whether there could be some basis, some common ground which
could be
found for a process, leaving it very flexible and elastic as to what
this
process could be. And, essentially, I have sent the report of that to
the
Secretary-General, the then-Secretary-General.  And the fact is that
there isn't
that common ground as yet. So I think we'll have to try something
different, a
different approach.  So let us see. At the moment, the -- as you
know, there is
a certain state of change in New York, not just in terms of the
Secretary-General, but even the key department which is handling
this, there
will be a change at the end of June.  So I -- and perhaps that may
lead to
certain movement beyond that point. But the real difficulty that we
face there
is the fact that nothing more was said beyond the word "process."
Unlike in the
case of IGF, where, in a sense, the marching orders are reasonably
clear.  There
was not that much scope for modification, interpretation, and so on.
So what we
did was essentially a good offices function.  And as you know, in
diplomacy, the
best you can do in good offices is provide those good offices.  You
can't
necessarily assume that they will lead to a successful result. But I
do accept
that this is an area where we will have to ask ourselves, what do we
do, at some
point. "

In summary, he said that nothing happened, and that he doesn't see
what could happen, since he got from his "informal consultation" the
sense that "there isn't that common ground as yet". Note that he
provided his report of end 2006 to the former UN SG. And then the new
UN SG was elected.

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org