[governance] enhanced cooperation

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 12 09:39:56 EDT 2008

Personally, I would like to propose a workshop on the issue of enhanced
cooperation (against whatever odds of it being accepted). Perhaps we can
develop the ' Enhanced Cooperation - What Was Meant By the Tunis Agenda, and
What Is the Status of It' theme we proposed for Feb consultations into a
workshop proposal.

Among the present list of 4 workshop proposals  the second one on CIRs is
still unformed. Should the issue of political oversight of CIRs contained in
the EC proposition be proposed in this CIR slot? In that case we can develop
the above theme proposal.

BTW, I am not sure if any of you have seen a very significant posting on EC
at http://wiki.tools.isoc.org/Policy_Activities/UN_report_request .

To quote

“The Under-Secretary General of the United Nations, Sha Zukang
<http://www.un.org/esa/desa/ousg/#bioSection> , has written to Internet
Society President and CEO Lynn St. Amour, inviting ISOC to provide an annual
performance report on the steps the organization has taken toward "enhanced
cooperation" on public policy issues pertaining to the Internet.  This
request comes in the context of the outcomes of the 2005 World Summit on the
Information Society.  (A copy of that letter is posted here
<http://wiki.tools.isoc.org/@api/deki/files/73/=UNrequest20080312.pdf> .)”

I read it as an effort to parcel the EC concept exclusively as a ‘bottom up’
autonomous set of activities among existing organization, which to me more
or less means nothing (sorry for being a bit skeptic) and which serves to
push away the issue of real political oversight of the these existing
organizations. And I understand that this is an important issue about which
we are concerned. Recent emails by Wolfgang and Michael Leibrandt also
discuss this issue.

No one else will bell the cat on EC. CS should take the lead in bringing
this issue in the open and base its resolution (or a movement towards some
kind of resolution in the future) on open discussion rather than
behind-the-scene half-hearted efforts.

Parminder