[governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Apr 11 12:46:45 EDT 2008

Le 11 avr. 08 à 16:58, Michael Leibrandt a écrit :

> Hi there,
>
> Reading the proposed ws titles again after sipping some smooth
> fresh coconut juice at the endless coast of Bahia, I think they
> sound somewhat too >academic< and - boring.

Academic?? Check twice that you're not drinking a batida de coco
instead of a coco verde:) Both are good, anyway..

> I guess we`re not doing this exercise just for us, but want to
> attract co-sponsors and participants with different and often
> limited IG backgrounds. Based on Meryems comment, my suggestions
> would be as follows:
>
> 1- "Role and Mandate of IGF"
>
> We`re moving towards the third IGF, so please no more discussions
> about the present IGF settings and/or TA interpretations. How about
> >Future Development of the IGF<?

Tabula rasa? Hell no! The aim of this (hopefully now recurrent)
workshop is accountability for the past and, I agree, discussing the
future. This has to be reflected in the WS title.

> 2- "Critical Internet Resources"
>
>  Maybe we can openly say >Internationalization of Internet
> Governance<?

Why not. A bit of a holdall, though, just like CIR.

> 3- "IG and global jurisdiction - political, legal, contractual,
> technical and private means/instruments"
>
> Is it really about >jurisdiction< at the global level, or more
> about >decision making< processes in a wider sense?

For former messages on this, I understand it's actually about
jurisdiction

> The main challenge seems to be that we have to combine a global
> infrastructure with local and regional needs and expectations. How
> about >Local Users in Global Internet Governance<? This includes,
> among others, the consumer confronted with foreign custom duties as
> well as the SME confonted with foreign intellectual property regimes.

I'm not sure this new title would reflect the initial idea, as
there's no global governance yet, that's the point we would like to
discuss, actually.

> 4- "Coexistence of commercial and non-profit spaces on the Internet -
> implications for IG"
>
> In the Web 2.0 world you can often find both spaces in just one
> entity. I would use a shortened version of Meryems proposal:
> >Commons, public service and commercial values<.

Thinking twice about my own proposal, it seems weird to speak of
'commercial values' here (or even elsewhere, but that's another
story:)). What about "Coexistence of commons, public service and
commercial spaces: IG issues"?

An academic, boring, methodological remark: we should better start
with WS description, then the title would impose itself:))

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org