[governance] Speaking of property rights...

Willie Currie wcurrie at apc.org
Wed Apr 9 19:32:57 EDT 2008

Hi Milton

This is a v insightful paper and raises important points about
informational property rights.

I think that the notion of info-communism is a red herring, (excuse the
pun) and can't be taken seriously - there is a some kind of radical chic
at play there in the iconography - Che Guevara has become a mainstream
icon used ironically by all comers, including business advertisers for
their own purposes.

While the claims of freedom, the individual and constitutionality are v
important, they do need to be balanced with the claims of the social.
This is a key faultline in contemporary gloabl politics that is at play
in all sectors of society and the economy at present - particularly in
the crisis around global financial markets. Freedom, individual property
rights and extreme deregulation led to the crisis in which the whole
system of global finances was threatening to become severely unhinged,
leading the state representing the social interest in a stable financial
market to intervene. In the space of intellectual property rights there
is a similar extremism at play in the maximalist regime for IPRs that
was, until challenged by social forces, willing to let masses of people
in developing countries die of HIV/AIDS, aided and abetted by
neo-conservatives like Thabo Mbeki in South Africa (to our shame).
Microsoft is obviously an egregrious example  in the world of software
that could not be effectively restrained by social forces in the US, the
centre of (extreme, suicidal) liberalism in the world. It is little
wonder that the FOSS movement has taken up the issue aggressively, nor
coincidental that it should be Gates who cast the first stone of
info-communism around.

In the sphere of access to infrastructure, there has been ten-fifteen
years of market liberalism at play which has had some successes but is
not able to address the social needs of  people who have little income,
the bottom of the pyramid arguments notwithstanding. Here is a space for
a commons to be created that can co-exist with a competitive market in
access where citizens can pay for services. But the dice are loaded
against such solutions - wireless municipal broadband whatever its
problems is under severe threat in the US, for ecxample. So I think
there needs to be a paradigm shift in which claims of the individual to
property rights and social claims for a commons can be balanced
coherently. The fall out from the financial crisis is likely to
facilitate this rebalancing process and it has nothing to do with the
dead 20th century ideology of communism. but rather with issues of
justice, equality and the assertion of the social.

willie

     governance at lists.cpsr.org