[governance] NTIA announcement on JPA

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Apr 3 16:14:13 EDT 2008

John, we are confusing the IANA contract and JPA now. My comments applied to
JPA and I think if that is replaced or made redundant first, the IANA
details can follow peacefully and easily.

I don’t think it is pointless at all - rather, I think it is totally
necessary these issues be addressed and I think they are central to IGF.

We seem to be able to run international telecommunications, air transport,
shipping, sport, and a number of other functions perfectly well without any
single government having specific unequal rights. If we can't find a way to
do this for the Internet, someone else will. Or it will be rendered
obsolete.

As regards the root, there is no magic here - only trust and universal
support make the Verisign root authoritative. If that support erodes or
instead is placed elsewhere, IANA is a piece of history.

I have a spare PC which could be used for the authoritative root. I'll
donate it to ICANN, all we needs is a sensible international agreement to
respect ICANN's decisions here rather than subject root decisions to a
unilateral authorization process by a single rogue government.

Checked by AVG.
10:48

     governance at lists.cpsr.org