[governance] NTIA announcement on JPA

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Apr 2 21:15:58 EDT 2008

Bret Fausett wrote:

> As far as whether ICANN ever will be privatized, remember that the
> document that started us on this process was a 1996 publication of the
> Clinton Administration. Clinton started the ball rolling, but left it to
> the next administration, Bush, to complete. When the JPA was agreed in
> 2006, to resolve in 2009, Bush, in turn, effectively passed the task to
> the next administration, McCain/Clinton/Obama, to complete. I don't
> think it's realistic to expect that new administration, whoever is
> leading it....

There's that interesting twist should Hillary C. win - which is the Ira
Magaziner factor.

For those who don't know, Ira M. was part of the Bill Clinton
administration.  Ira M. worked with Hillary C. on the ill fated health
care thing back then.

The Clintons appear still to have close relations with Ira M.

Ira M. is, or was, a business partner of Paul Twomey, President of ICANN.

Thus, if Hillary C. wins there will be a very short link between ICANN
and the White House - perhaps so short that a 3am phone call from ICANN
to the White House would be answered.

The other angle, which you mentioned is that sometimes there are long
memories - Way back in the 1950's there was a witch hunt of sorts trying
to find "the man who lost China".  Nobody in the US gov't today, whether
executive or legislative branch, wants to run the risk of being labeled
as "the person who lost the internet".

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org