[governance] NTIA announcement on JPA

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Wed Apr 2 20:19:10 EDT 2008

I didn't read this "announcement" as announcing much at all. I
wouldn't be too quick to read much into it.

As far as whether ICANN ever will be privatized, remember that the
document that started us on this process was a 1996 publication of the
Clinton Administration. Clinton started the ball rolling, but left it
to the next administration, Bush, to complete. When the JPA was agreed
in 2006, to resolve in 2009, Bush, in turn, effectively passed the
task to the next administration, McCain/Clinton/Obama, to complete. I
don't think it's realistic to expect that new administration, whoever
is leading it, six months into its term in office, to privatize ICANN
completely in September, 2009. "Giving away the Internet," which is
what it will be called by ICANN's political opponents here in the
U.S., is politically risky. The understandable inclination of U.S.
politicians, even those who might agree with the concept of
privatizing these global resources, is to delay, and leave it to
someone else to finally make it happen.

    Bret
     governance at lists.cpsr.org