[governance] Re: ICANN to shut down internet for one hour

Alejandro Pisanty apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Wed Apr 2 10:07:41 EDT 2008

Avri,

I can tell you about at least 110 million people who do not celebrate
April Fools' Day, Mexico. We have our own strong tradition of fooling,
jokes and chicanery on December 28. We have been warned of the influence
of Anglo culture and are doubly skeptical with respect to messages from
outside our cultural sphere (we don't believe everything that comes from
Fox News anyway on any given day.)

Since the tradition seems to originate from a Christian-specific
significant date, it seems possible that 2/3 of the world not only do not
know about April Fools' Day, they resent the practical jokes as inflicted
on them.

Finally: it is very telling that about the petty obsessions of some what
they choose to joke about in exposing themselves to the world - a day
late.

Alejandro Pisanty

      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM, Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

*Mi blog/My blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
*LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/pisanty
*Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614

---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org