[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Sun Sep 30 06:13:37 EDT 2007

I don't think that we'll ever come to agreement... What for me is
balance (and common sense) between different principles, for you is a
repressive compromise. And you still seem to miss the difference between
identifiers and actual content (mentioning Rushdie's book is a nice
rhetorical device to stir people's emotions, but not particularly on topic).

Something that particularly strikes me is this point:

Milton L Mueller ha scritto:
>> instead, you insist on a request that it is not
>> offensive for you, and is not offensive for me,
>> but is offensive to many; and since it does not
>> bring any perceivable advance to your freedom,
>
> Any concession to the principle that speech can be prohibited merely on
> the basis of it being offensive to a few people, or even the majority of
> people, is a huge blow to freedom.

I would be arguing that for most parts of the world the result of a
global Internet as we know it, even in a scenario where you'd not get
info.abortion and you'd be forced to use abortion.info, is much more
freedom than they ever knew before. Compare this with the scenario where
you have info.abortion, but China and the Arab world break out of the
international governance and root server systems. Which of the two is
more likely to lead to a free and peaceful global society? And do you
really think that a free and peaceful global society should or even
could be just an expanded replica of late 20th century Western
societies? Shouldn't it rather be a meeting point among all different
sets of values existing in the world, including the ones we don't like
for ourselves?

Anyway, I have a last request to you:

> I don't mind if you disagree with that. I just don't understand why you
> want to position yourself as a "rights" advocate.

I do not want to "position" myself, I just say what I think. I may be
less clever or less qualified than you, but please do not question my
intellectual honesty, especially as a device to support your ideas, or
mock my ideas up in a way that suits your argument.

I do not understand why, whenever you are confronted with different
opinions, you have to prove in front of everyone that yours is right and
the others are wrong. It would be more productive to recognize that we
live in a diverse world and we have to find common grounds to make
everyone feel at home on the Internet.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------