[governance] the USA prosecutes to test the definition of obscenity

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 28 02:46:40 EDT 2007

Hi all,

While we discuss the merits or otherwise of introducing new gTLDs, and freedom of speech issues that come with it, a woman in Pittsburgh, USA, "will go on trial in federal court here on obscenity charges for
writings distributed on the Internet to about two dozen subscribers."

And what disturbing obscenity has she been responsible for, well, "She faces six felony counts for operating a Web site called Red Rose,
which featured detailed fictional accounts of the molesting, torture
and sometimes gruesome murders of children under the age of 10, mostly
girls."

The New York Times says "How Ms. Fletcher came to be selected for federal prosecution among the
countless pornography purveyors is a vivid illustration of the
fractured and uncertain state of the enforcement of obscenity law in
the nation."

The website has no images, just text.

The story is available from the New York Times at http://nytimes.com/2007/09/28/us/28obscene.html.

Don't ya just love Tories and their preoccupation with porn! America has a next-to-useless health system, for the poor anyway, huge problems with equality, and what does it do with its money, prosecute poor people for porn in a case that isn't anywhere near a certainty to get up. And why pick on this woman? I guess because she is poor helps. It's a funny old world we live in.

Cheers
David

---------
David Goldstein
 address: 4/3 Abbott Street
           COOGEE NSW 2034
           AUSTRALIA
 email: Goldstein_David @yahoo.com.au
 phone: +61 418 228 605 (mobile); +61 2 9665 5773 (home)

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery

     governance at lists.cpsr.org