[governance] Human rights and new gTLDs

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Thu Sep 27 00:07:36 EDT 2007

Thank You Avri & Dan

Exactly! You got the point.
Some people … with their lives all balled up into the Wall Street Madison
Avenue Domain Name Game want to Corner-the-Market, or a least a very profitable
share of it.

The parallel between Arthur Jensen’s Pitch to Howard Beale and the Who’s-Who of
the GNSO Registrars Constituency, is close enough for me.

I’m not saying they’re all behaving like Arthur Jensen (Network) or Charles
Foster Kane (Citizen Kane), I am saying that there are members of the
Registrars Constituency that are backed by the Financial Market, and that the
Constituency have proven that are perfectly capable of: Commoditizing,
Monetizing and Controlling the TLD systems. And if you release the gTLD you can
expect the same damn thing of them (status-quo). And there are plently of other
"Stakeholders" that have the same wish.

I won’t buy the fact that the TLD syndicate has not been a Cash-Cow for them.
And don’t you think for one moment, that you could convince me they won’t try
to: refine, saturate, and expand their holdings in it.

Hell-Yes they want to open up the gTLD right now, because … They (the
Registrars Constituency), The Networks, and the Carriers are the only ones that
can afford to monopolize it. The Time is Now, because the coming
‘technological-convergence’ is just around the corner, and that will squeeze
out any loose ends.

Its time for us to 'Defend Democratic Web Space', otherwise well have a world
of Arthur Jensen’s hyper-centric-syndicates, Ruling the Net.

You might think that it’s Hog-wash, but from what we have seen in past 10
years, there’s no-way I can let democracy side down the tubes.

---

Dan, My retort:

"Network" (1976)
Howard Beale - The 'Mad Prophet of the Airwaves'
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechnetwork3.html

Videobite:
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/videoclips/videomoviespeechnetworkmadprophet544
444444444444444443484.wmv

Soundbite:
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/mp3clips/newmoviespeeches/moviespeechnetwork3a3
45854545455443843.mp3

---

P.S. Side Bar: Avri, congratulations your appointment, and thank you for your
work & support in forums as this.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org