[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Sep 26 17:07:14 EDT 2007

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> ... Whatever you think about those questions, there _are_
> going to be new TLDs, probably in the 10-20 a year range. That is one
> unambiguous (and relatively good) outcome of the ICANN process. (Of
> course it took them 10 years, grumble...)

10-20 is a lot better than zero, but there is absolutely no valid reason
whatsoever that the numbers could not have two or three more zeros, i.e.
1000 to 20000 per year.

ICANN, even with its "new" TLD process insists on imposing social and
economic policies, protective of incumbent registries and the
intellectual property protection industry, onto a process that ought to
be a simple checklist that asks whether the applicant will abide by
broadly accepted and practiced written internet technical standards.

If the answer is yes, the green light ought to automatically go on and
the application be entered into the queue, lottery, or auction process
to chose among the unfulfilled applications.

The price for this: I figure that $0.05 to $5 would be the appropriate
range to submit the application and have it reviewed.  The cost to the
winner of the lottery or auction ought to be a fee to cover the cost of
putting the data into the root zone file, which using .com registry
costs as a base, should be a number under $7 (US).  The auction price
would, of course, be set via bidding.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org