[governance] Human rights and new gTLDs

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Tue Sep 25 16:21:03 EDT 2007

Milton L Mueller ha scritto:

> [...]

Milton, the position you are pushing is that anyone should be free to
get a domain such as ".abortion" (your example) or ".childpornography"
or dot-whatever-blasphemy, and if there are countries of the world that
are unhappy about that, they should censor these domains or break out of
the global Internet.

I see that as shooting ourselves in the foot to prove the fact that we
are free to shoot ourselves in the foot. The Internet has been the major
factor in democratizing many societies around the world, before their
non-democratic governments could realize what was happening. We live in
a time where governments are looking for whatever excuse to start to put
licenses, rules and controls over the Internet. Giving them a good one
is the last thing we should be doing.

Moreover, if there is half of the world that is offended by such a
visible reference to, say, abortion or blasphemies or whatever, I think
that you have to respect that. The basis of living together in a
globally diverse world is to respect each other. I know that this might
in some cases tend to self-censorship, but you can't build a world of
peace by ignoring other people's sensitivities (and note that we are not
talking about censoring content, we are just talking about not slapping
certain issues in the face of some stakeholders through a highly
provocative global political action).

And would you find it acceptable if ICANN approved the creation of TLDs
which incite to racism, homophoby, war, or whatever? Do you draw a line
somewhere? How? There's not just Milton Muller's freedom of expression,
but other human rights are involved.

Incidentally, I think that there are several other important issues that
are affected by ICANN's new gTLD process. For example, depending on
application fees and technical requirements, the developing world might
be deprived of the possibility of accessing this resource, and made
dependent on American and European companies (I spent the afternoon
arguing about this on the ICANN Board list). Or the entire system may be
optimized for business, thus making it difficult for NGOs to apply.
These issues are IMHO more immediate and impacting than your claim that
you need to get the www.info.abortion URL to speak about abortion, and
that your freedom of expression would be seriously harmed if you had to
resort to publishing the same speech at www.abortion.info instead.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------