[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Wed Sep 26 06:22:29 EDT 2007

Milton L Mueller ha scritto:
>> you need to get the www.info.abortion URL to speak
>> about abortion, and that your freedom of expression
>> would be seriously harmed if you had to resort to
>> publishing the same speech at www.abortion.info instead.
>
> In the latter paragraph, you are arguing that there is no difference in
> the two identifier formulations and that the issue is trivial. In the
> earlier paragraph, you are saying that the mere existence of the TLD
> "slaps people in the face" and is "highly provocative." Which argument
> are you making, my friend?

I am making the argument that it does not make any practical difference
for the freedom and accessibility of the *content* whether it is located
at the first or at the second identifier. You could say the same things
without provoking irked reactions in anyone (and yes, TLD requests are
clearly provocative, just look at the amount of reaction to .xxx);
instead, you insist on a request that it is not offensive for you, and
is not offensive for me, but is offensive to many; and since it does not
bring any perceivable advance to your freedom, these people may even
think that you are purposedly trying to offend them and their deep moral
(religious, in some cases) convictions.

This also applies to Karl's reply - Karl, I do respect your freedom to
live as you like, but when we move from the offline to the online world,
and speak about something at the root level of the Internet, the entire
planet is packed in the same room. It's not like "if you don't like this
way of life go live somewhere else"; you have to find a compromise. The
result won't be 100% free for people who value personal liberties, and
won't be 100% moral for people who value communitarian philosophies or
who are religious (of whatever religion). But you should do your best to
find something that is acceptable to as many different cultures as possible.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org