[governance] OECD Ministerial Meeting, Seoul, June 17-18 2008

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Sep 25 02:23:36 EDT 2007

Thanks for this reply, Milton.

I completely agree with the imperative for engagement, and we will see if IT
for Change can spare bandwidth/ resources to engage as well.

My email was mainly addressed to those in civil society, and in the IGC, who
may not be so enthusiastic about 'evolving broad public policy principles
for the Internet' in a CS-led way within the IGF but willing to engage with
OECD in exactly the same exercise. I know you are not one of those, and have
been active in sharpening the policy discourse at the IGF, as well
participating in an exercise to develop real process and substantive
possibilities for global Internet polices. The very mention of 'framework
convention' and such terms attract such a hostile reaction among many that
we need to interrogate the reasons for this situation, more deeply. I know
that the possibility of authoritative governments dictating global internet
polices is the main fear in the minds of most civil society members and
groups in giving such a reaction to any structured process for global
Internet polices. And this danger being (relatively) less present in OECD
circles probably gives them more confidence. In this matter I have two
principal arguments

(1)   Authoritarian governments already know enough, and are increasingly
capable enough, to do what they want to in order to control their national
digital spaces, which is what they most care to control.  I don't see what
much more they can get out of international policy agreements, though I know
they are aiming for some benefits, like in cross-border 'security' related
agreements and arrangements. However, when countries sit down for
international negotiations there is always the possibilities that
progressive values - a la existing human rights agreements -  even if at
some low common denominator, get agreed to. Even if such outcomes look
difficult at present, it is important to keep some clear global public
policy spaces open and engaged in these directions, for information society
is a fast evolving area, of which no one has very clear understanding,
except for the gut feeling that it is a very very powerful phenomenon
altering our realties in far more structural ways than we can understand at
present.

(2)   Authoritarian governments are only one danger, and at the altar of
fighting this danger, we can not sacrifice all considerations regarding the
economic (also social and political) imperialism  that some governments in
collaboration with big-business are strengthening through the use of new ICT
infrastructures, and other infra and supra structures build over this
infrastructure, which are the unique resources, and infrastructures, and
'playing-fields' of the information society. And in making our choices which
fights are more important, and if both are important, which mix of response
and what trade-offs are to be made, is an issue of political determination,
in which, sadly, North based civil society and South-based civil society
often takes different positions.   It we are really serious about using the
strength and legitimacy of a 'global civil society' in all these policy
arenas, it is important and that we give greater attention and devote more
energy to seeking to evolve common understanding and there from, common
agendas and strategies. And I think it is possible. It is principally with
this objective in mind I wrote the earlier email.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890