[governance] Digital Solidarity, Access, CSR and Rio

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Wed Sep 19 01:52:13 EDT 2007

David,

I guess I would include public regulation as a shaping factor on the market
(violate the law, pay a price, lose profitability -- after all, with
limited liability it is still relatively rare that corporate officials
actually pay personally for legal "mistakes" ... it's the corporation that
pays some price in legal fees, cash penalties, regulatory punishments,
etc.).

The "green" movement in the US kicked up a notch in the last year as global
warming has finally gotten past the nay-sayers, and they are putting lots
of pressure not only on final products but supply chains (Nike, etc.) and
other corporate behavior.

I think one of the key issues in all of this is verification of SR claims,
to defuse the market for fraudulent claims of social responsibility.
Sometimes it is naturally verifiable, because there is a third party
involved (like a CS NPO) that can confirm, but often this is not the case
leaving room for masqueraders.

With respect to shareholders, the problem there is short-term versus
long-term profits, and publicly-held corporations have a real hard time
getting past the "next-quarteritis" that infects fickle public investing
based on things other than solid managerial practices.

I think Nnenna may have phrased things in an extreme manner, but the main
point here is to see those limits of CSR for what they are, and to be
thankful when CSR dynamics help corporations change their behavior for the
better, but not to rely on that a a sole route to progress.

I think that might yield a "consensus position" on the issue...  ;-)

Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org