[governance] Speakers for IGF

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Sep 14 13:16:15 EDT 2007

>This is to clarify that this call is ONLY for
>nomination to main sessions at the IGF ­ the
>four sessions on CIRs, access, diversity, and
>openness, plus one on emerging issues.

Parminder,

You missed Security.

There's also a session "Taking Stock and the way
forward" and the Opening Ceremony.

We should recommend speakers for the Opening
Ceremony.  Last year Natasha Primo used her time
split between her own issues (Gender and ICT) and
also addressed key civil society bullet points.
I think this was successful.

The "Taking Stock and the way forward" session
may be interesting/difficult given the point in
one of  Everton Lucero's "food for thought"
papers:

"2. On structure:
- A main working session will be devoted to a
discussion on the structure for future meetings,
including the role, criteria, nomination,
rotation and procedures for the Advisory Group or
other supporting body." (Everton is an advisor to
the Brazilian co-chair)

The taking stock session seems the obvious target
for this. But I wonder if it's at odds with the
press release from the Secretary General
appointing the MAG:

"Any decision on how to prepare subsequent
meetings will be taken after the Rio de Janeiro
meeting in an open, inclusive and transparent
consultative process, taking into account the
proposals of the Advisory Group."

Whatever... can't ignore the issue.  I would like
the session to focus more on what people think
the IGF should be doing ongoing, particularly
views from developing nations (there are too few
participating). Suggest a third on IGF structure
and MAG to set up a consultation on those issues
post-Rio, and the rest looking at building on Rio
towards Delhi.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org