[governance] Invitation to IISD E-conference on Internet Governance and Sustainable Development

jlfullsack jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 11 12:23:31 EDT 2007

Dear Tony

Many thanks for your kind invitation. However, I'm very busy (even
"overbooked") during this period, with the Regional Unesco Meeting (Europe
and North America) where i'm involved since it takes place in Strasbourg (my
living place) on next 13th and 14th, and the EurAfrica-ICT Initiative
meeting in Brussels on September 27, which needs some preparation for me.
Therefore it may be difficult for me to be an active participant at your
conference. Moreover, my English may prove not fluent enough for
contributing effectively to the debates (generally people use to speek
very/too quickly there ...).

Actually, the topic of the IISD conference is on top of my reflections, but
these are more pragmatic than "academic".
For me, and as far as development is concerned (e.g. Sub Saharian Africa,
SSA), one of the most important concepts is synergy between diverse
infrastractures such as transport (road and rail), energy (transport lines
and grids), ICT (both telecom and TV infrastructures), water and sanitation
networks (urban areas), pipelines, etc. Obvious synergy effects with ICT
(i.a. carrying Internet) are also obtained through postal networks, where
e-mail complements traditional mail if any. What's more, synergy is not only
cost effective, it is also a cross-fertilizing means if it is taken in
account accordingly and following a formalized methodology. Thus, synergy is
in my opinion key for optimizing the relationship between ICT (domain where
Internet Gouvernance is unavoidable) and development, which is obviously
based on sustainable development in SSA.

I think this close relationship and its induced synergy effets may be
contributive to the second and maybe to the fifth of the conference topics.

All the best

Jean-Louis Fullsack
President of CSDPTT (www.csdptt.org)
Associated Researcher of CERIME (Universite Robert Schuman, Strasbourg)
(www.cerime.u-strasbg.fr)