[governance] ICANN ads ... - this thread is getting too long

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Sep 10 23:15:31 EDT 2007

A far as places to find good people go, the Economist isn't a bad choice.

That is, it is not a bad choice if one is looking for people to do
economic and social regulation.

Is ICANN supposed to be doing economic and social engineering?

As Dan pointed, out, our endevours in internet governance have been
accompanied by several myths.

(For some prior comments on internet mythology see my note at
http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000114.html )

One of these myths is that ICANN does technical regulation and not
economic/social regulation.

The reality of things is that ICANN, and much of what is discussed under
the banner of internet governance is economic and social regulation.

I don't like that reality, but I seem to be in the minority.

There are matters of technical import that really do need governance -
there are internet resources that really and sincerely are critical -
such as IP addresses, routing prefixes, and end-to-end quality to
support user applications, i.e. CIR, a topic that some want to exclude
entirely.  [BTW - I exclude domain names from my list of these essential
technical matters; I do not consider domain names to be in need of
centralized oversight at all, but that is another topic for another day.]

These matters, with the limited exception of certain aspects of IP
addresses, not being squarely faced; we are leaving most of the matters
of technical governance - the jobs of keeping the wheels and gears of
the net turning - to chance and the good will of a relative few, but
mortal, people.

Now, in the great scheme of things economic and social regulation are
things that need to be done - someday, somewhere, somehow.  They are
difficult.

Unfortunately, as poorly as we are coming to grips with the technical
matters, we are even more poorly prepared to face, much less address,
these soft, squishy issues that tend to have a stronger impact on the
lives of real people.

Solving those things will require the input from people who read The
Economist.

And it will also require input from people who read Harpers.

And from people who read every RFC and IEEE document, people who live on
the internet and - and this is an important "and" - people who can not
afford more than intermittent access, people who have physical
impairments, and people who are neither wealthy nor speak English.

Any institution of internet governance that is not tightly and strictly
tied, in reality, to technical governance needs a couple of key ingredients:

   - An honest representation, to itself and of itself, regarding what
it is doing, why it is doing it, what principles guide it, who's ox it
is protecting, who are the intended beneficiaries, and what are its
limitations.

  - A foundation of legitimacy in the eyes of those who are its intended
beneficiaries and the targets of its regulatory constraints.  Legitimacy
does not grow well in a soil fertilized by fiat and exclusion.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org