[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Sep 10 12:33:21 EDT 2007

At 10:05 AM -0400 9/10/07, Milton L Mueller wrote:

snip

>  >
>>"Issues relating to infrastructure and the
>>management of critical Internet resources,
>>including administration of the domain name
>>system and Internet protocol addresses (IP
>>addresses), administration of the root server
>>system, technical standards, peering and
>>interconnection, telecommunications
>>infrastructure, including innovative and
>>convergent technologies, as well as
>>multilingualization."
>
>Adam, I guess I don't see how this paragraph "neuters, diverts or stacks
>the deck." Can you explain?

I think including "technical standards, peering
and  interconnection, telecommunications
infrastructure, including innovative and
convergent technologies" is a diversion from the
real issue we should be discussing. In email to
the AG some months ago (and might also have
copied to the governance list, can't remember) I
suggested the WGIG background report was a better
source, it goes into more detail:

54. Issues relating to infrastructure and the
management of critical Internet resources are of
direct relevance to Internet governance and fall
within the ambit of existing organizations with
responsibility for these matters. The issues
divide fairly naturally into two subgroups:
* Issues relating to physical infrastructure
including related technical standards, and
telecommunications infrastructure including
innovative and converged technologies; and
* Issues relating to the management of critical
Internet resources, including administration of
the domain name system and IP addresses,
administration of the root server system, as well
as multilingualization of the domain name system

I'd have picked the second bullet only and left
the first for access and perhaps openness
(standards). But it seemed pointless to argue
last week.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org