[governance] speakers for IGF

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Sep 10 01:39:37 EDT 2007

I had not seen the deadline for submitting names for panelists - and I now
see that it is the day after, on the 12th. I would say it is rather short...
but we need to do what we can for this.

So, I will suggest that everyone gives names for panelists to vittorio's and
my email id. NOT TO THE IGC ID, because if there is to be a selection
process, which we still have to discuss and finalize, it wont be right to
have all names in public first.

Each suggested name should be specific to one of the five main thematic
panels plus one for the emerging issues panel. Please add two to four lines
justifying why these names are appropriate for the panels and also why they
should be FORWARDED BY OR THROUGH THE IGC as speakers....

(1) Some involvement with the IGC or other collective CS processes is
preferable, but not necessary if the suggested person and her perspectives
STRONGLY meet the condition 2 and/or 3 below. I put this criterion because
we are a platform of collective CS action, and panelists can also be
suggested directly to the IGF secretariat by any person.

(2) While suggesting names, it is important to keep in mind various
positions and perspectives that have been adopted and/ or strongly discussed
in the IGC. In general, 'progressive' views normally associated with civil
society should also be a criterion.

(3) Representing a 'CS view' or 'IGC view' is am important but not the only
objective of this process, and if some speakers can be expected to greatly
contribute in enriching the debate in the respective thematic area, that
should itself be a good justification.

(4) Diversity of geography, gender, technical/ developmental/ social
background, special interest groups etc should be kept in mind.

(5) As per some discussions on this list, it will also be useful to connect
workshops to main themes through suggesting panelists from among workshop
speakers.

(6) anyone recommended should already be planning to be in rio.

(these criterion will be further evolved if a selection process is adopted.
Vittorio is still to give his comments, but I thought I should start the
process because there isnt much time)

I will request the secretariat to extend the deadline to 17th so we have a
week, but I cant be sure they will do it. Others who have some leverage with
the secretariat may also try to do so.

Parminder
Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore