[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sat Sep 8 16:16:34 EDT 2007

On 8 sep 2007, at 14.32, McTim wrote:

> MM
>> And there are serious policy debates even within IETF about the
>> bloc size of IPv6 address distributions.
>
> Actually, no. The IETF stuck a fork in that one long ago.  I think it
> was RFC3513 (or maybe 3531, I've always been dyslexic about those
> two.)  Again all this info is widely available on IETF/RIR lists. I
> encourage you to join them or read their archives if you really wwant
> to gain "expertise" in these fields.

actually they have been bickering about it again.  check out the
threads:

IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg47212.html

and

IPv6 RIR  Policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg47527.html

I was meant to write something up on it for someone, but never got a
round to it,
and the debate is still ongoing.

but it is an interesting thread.

a good and breif synopisis is:

From: Keith Moore
> Bob Braden wrote:
> > In this whole discussion, I find it hard to keep separate the
> > technical issues, about which the IETF should care a lot, from
> > the business model and issues, about which the IETF should be
> > agnostic.  We may personally care a great deal about the business
> > issues, but we cannot speak as an organization about them.
> >
> well, mumble.  we shouldn't be biased toward any particular business
> model.  but there's nothing wrong with being biased towards
> flexibility,
> or being biased against the RIRs changing IETF decisions to favor a
> particular business model.
>
> again, the fundamental problem here is that the RIRs are trying to
> second-guess IETF design decisions.

definitely food for thought for the technopolitical geek.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org