[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Sep 7 17:56:21 EDT 2007

nail. hammer. head.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Afonso [mailto:ca at rits.org.br]
I continue to find curious that, despite the fact that all the other
issues are similary complex and relevant, only CIRs spark such strong
dedication against debating it on the part of the business community,
the US government and the people linked to the current global logical
infrastructure governance system -- which, at the IGF, act practically
as one voice. This was so in the preparation of the agenda for Athens
(when they succeeded in dropping the issue entirely from the main
agenda) and resistance continues against it, despite the fact that it is

irreversibly part of the main IGF debate and agenda from now on.

I insist that this group is getting behind ICANN itself, which is in a
process of change (not as much or as quickly as many of us would like)
and now seems clearly above this kind of resistance.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org