[governance] Civil society and IGC role at the IGF

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Fri Sep 7 05:09:03 EDT 2007

Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
> Hi,
> at this state of things I would argue very much against any formal
> decision making authority for the MAG. We are still in a state of
> experimenting with multi-stakeholder processes. For many governments it
> is not easy to deal with a membership so heterogeneous in terms of
> authority and legitimacy. Even to acknowledge each other can be a
> challenge. Processes such as WGIG or the MAG need a protected space in
> order to evolve. No decision-making power is one element of this
> protection.
>
> Another aspect: On this list I have repeatedly argued against any
> decision-making authority for civil society in binding international
> policy processes. Unless there are formal processes in place that
> specify on whose behalf we participate in decision-making I think we
> simply lack legitimacy to do so.

I agree with you on this. But I also agree with you on the previous
point - even civil society needs a "protected space" in which it can
evolve credible procedures for internal decision-making, and especially
picking representatives. Such representatives should initially not have
any real role, but then, if the system works, they could have a bit more
  of it - for example, be members of an AG which has a certain (limited)
steering role for the IGF process.

In general, and also as a caucus co-coordinator, I see a pattern of, er,
"dialogue" between AG members (representatives) and caucus membership
(constituents) that I've seen in other places, e.g. the At Large, both
from the membership and from the representative side. The membership
feels frustrated because the representatives aren't sharing each and
every detail of what they see, and will in some cases (for example
because there is no time to consult) act on their own. The
representatives feel frustrated because they usually post early calls
for input that go ignored, and then, at or after the deadline, members
complain that they didn't have opportunities to provide input. Reality
is that this relationship is complex, and is made more complex by the
fact that we're all very busy, very passionate, very bright, and very
egocentric. So I would suggest that rather than having exchanges (e.g.
see the one between Adam and Parminder) on who is the fault if this
channel of communication isn't always effective, we focus to use it
whenever there is momentum to do so.

However, in the specific case of the IGC, I see it harder and harder to
think that we can have common positions on substance. Perhaps our future
role should just be that of substance-neutral and all-welcoming venue
for (s)electing civil society members of the AG - then let them follow
their views, and confirm/sack them according to their performance and to
how much we collectively agree with what they say. It might be easier
and more effective than trying to agree on complex collective
statements, especially on issues where we know we differ a lot, every
two months.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------