[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Sep 7 02:30:24 EDT 2007

On 7 sep 2007, at 02.41, Danny Younger wrote:

> After the Council finished their discussion on the
> report's principles, recommendations and
> implementation elements they proceeded directly to a
> vote without any structured discussion of the public
> comments -- the formal review of the public comments
> as mandated by the agenda never happened.

i disagree with this assessment.

the review was done before walking through recommendations as opposed
to after that. but having listened to the whole call, i expect you
know that. i thought it was important that the set of views be known
before we went through each of the recommendations. we also brought
up the comments during the discussions.   perhaps the discussion
wasn't as focused on the comments as you would like, but as has been
said by others, those comments are not only part of the record, they
are part of the materials that board will be able to consider  in
deciding whether they agree with the recommendations.  and it will
the board's option to send the package, or any one oof the
recommendations back to the council to ask for clarification or to
tell us to do further work.

i know you think the council should have thrown out several of the
recommendations based on public comments.  it is true, the public
comments did not serve as a veto.  but i do deny that the council
members were  not aware of the comments and did not consider them in
casting their votes.  i expect the board will also consider them.

i do think that ICANN's GNSO policy development process needs to be
fixed and needs to incorporate the review of public comments much
earlier in the process.  and there are better ways of incorporating
public views into the process.  but i deny the accusation that the
GNSO council doesn't care or does not listen.

a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org