[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Sep 6 22:04:14 EDT 2007

Dan,

you are missing one minor, but important point, which should be in
the foundation when we talk about public interest in the work of
ICANN. See below.

At 18:45 9/6/2007  -0700, Dan Krimm wrote:

>If you don't know to type-in "icann public comment" into Google, why would
>anyone even know or think to do so?  It takes a separate promotional
>channel to get the word out generally, so that "general people" have even
>the first reason to explore in the first place.

Last year the NomCom circulated widely information about its work,
and the fact there's a nomination window opened. This included, but
was not limited, to Internet web sites, ads in the Economist, the
International Herald Tribune (check
http://www.icann.org/meetings/marrakech/captioning-nomcomm-29jun06.htm
) Here's what George Sadowsky said:

"In recruitment, we're trying some new things this year. What's on the screen
is advert that appeared in "The Economist" I think it was about two weeks
ago. It was a quarter page advertisement and we are fortunately receiving a
few statements of interest, or at least receiving some interest as a result
of this.
And we are also going to place an advertisement in the "International Herald
Tribune" probably next week.
These things have to be tried. We are looking at ways to reach out beyond
the ICANN community, and hopefully we are learning from new ways to do
outreach and recruitment. "

and then read this:
http://www.icann.org/meetings/saopaulo/captioning-icannpublicforumpt2-07dec06.htm

"WE USE THE ICANN FAMILY VERY HEAVILY FOR RECRUITING.
WE TRIED ADVERTISING THIS YEAR, AND IT DIDN'T PAY OFF.
WE ATTENDED A NUMBER OF MEETINGS, BOTH ICANN AND RELATED MEETINGS,
AND WERE VOCAL AND PRESENT -- VISIBLE IN ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
FOR LEADERSHIP WITHIN ICANN.
WE DISTRIBUTED WIDELY A FLIER DESCRIBING THE POSITIONS."

Once you read this, you will understand that Kieren is right - the
general people are not interested ICANN.  (and you can put here who is)
The "general people" treat ICANN as their GSM phone company - they
are neither happy nor unhappy that it works. They just use their
phones. And if their phones are outside of the coverage area, they
don't start calling the company and asking what's wrong (you see -
their phones don't work; how can they do that) but find a way to deal
with that, e.g. move a few feet away to get reception, or just ignore
their phones.

best,
Veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org