[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Sep 6 19:07:47 EDT 2007

Haven't we already moved well beyond this tired ITU vs. ICANN dichotomy?
I sincerely believe that it was put to rest when the WGIG report's 4 options did not even include a takeover of ICANN functions by ITU. I think even the ITU has lost interest in it. It's not going to happen anyway.

No, the issue is much more profound: national sovereignty vs. globality of the Internet, the role of territorial governments in setting global policy, the need for _global_ institutions to deliver effective governance, the threat that control of the resources of the internet can be abused for political purposes (by non-US as well as US states), the inability of power holders in the international system to agree on what sort of governance we should have, the pre-eminence of the US in the internet governance regime, etc.

Since this is such a huge problem, institutionally and historically speaking, nothing can or will be done about it immediately, so we may as well start talking about it now, because it will take decades to resolve. So relax, ISOC, enjoy the ride. ;-)

Names and numbers (i.e., "critical resources) push globalization of governance debates to the forefront because they are essential to universal interoperability of the internet. If we can't manage to have effective global governance of those fairly well-bounded resource allocation and assignment problems you can forget about harder ones like security, content, e-commerce.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org