[governance] Re: what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:11:10 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> With regard to the Co-Chair I think it is important to recognize that the
> Brazilian Co-Chair does not represent the Brazilian government but the host
> country. This is for some people probably something like hair splitting but
> we shuld not understimate the interesting diplomatic difference.

For list members' information, I copy hereunder a comment I officially made
in the open consultations on Monday regarding that point :

I note with great interest, without getting into details, the
interesting distinction that our chair Nitin has introduced
about the co-chair being the representative of the country, rather
than thegovernment.  I still note that, nonetheless, the country
representative is
 designated by the government in the Brazil situation.  So it's an interesting
 two layers of things.  And it's interesting to take into account the notion
 that sometimes governments can designate for certain functions people who are
 not government officials.

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")