[governance] Re: what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Sep 6 05:26:30 EDT 2007

Hi,
at this state of things I would argue very much against any formal
decision making authority for the MAG. We are still in a state of
experimenting with multi-stakeholder processes. For many governments it
is not easy to deal with a membership so heterogeneous in terms of
authority and legitimacy. Even to acknowledge each other can be a
challenge. Processes such as WGIG or the MAG need a protected space in
order to evolve. No decision-making power is one element of this protection.

Another aspect: On this list I have repeatedly argued against any
decision-making authority for civil society in binding international
policy processes. Unless there are formal processes in place that
specify on whose behalf we participate in decision-making I think we
simply lack legitimacy to do so.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org