[governance] Re: what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Thu Sep 6 03:15:26 EDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:55:46AM +0530,
 Guru at ITfC <guru at itforchange.net> wrote
 a message of 343 lines which said:

> I am sure the French royalists had similar views - that the common
> people in France only wanted mundane material things in life and
> were not concerned with 'democracy' issues as equality or liberty.

You can write it in the present tense. Previous French president
Jacques Chirac declared publically several times (about allied
dictatorships like Tunisia) that people in the South were not
interested by democracy or other luxuries but only by basic physical
needs.

Otherwise, I 100 % agree with you. When the allocation of IP addresses
mean that a student in an university in Africa has, in average, 1/1000
of an IP address, compared to 2 or 3 IP addresses for a student in the
North, you can see that access is also a governance problem.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org