[governance] IGF open consultation -- remarks by Brazil and Argentina

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Sep 4 10:38:27 EDT 2007

These opening remarks, on behalf of the Brazilian and Argentinian
delegations, were presented yesterday by Everton Lucero.

--c.a.

Mr. Chairman,

             The Delegations of Argentina and Brazil are fully
committed with the building of a people-centred, development-oriented
and inclusive information society, as envisaged by World Summit
Information Society (WSIS), and in conformity with the United Nations
Millenium Declaration. In this regard, our governments are convinced
that the establishment of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF), along
with all other initiatives mandated by the WSIS outcomes, represents a
major step towards the construction of a multilateral, democratic and
transparent global Internet governance model.

             While we recognize that – owing to its multi-stakeholder
composition and innovative approach – the convening of the IGF poses
unexpected challenges before us, we are well aware that Tunis Agenda
paragraphs 72-78 define the role and responsibilities of the IGF
regarding participation, scope, thematic agenda, internal organization
and possible results. Given these challenges, our Delegations support
the idea of addressing these fundamental issues in a constructive
manner during the session entitled "taking stock and the way forward",
with a view to the full implementation of the IGF mandate.
Furthermore, our governments are confident that the IGF will be able
to deliver on its mandate during the next four meetings already
programmed, as expected by the international community. In this
regard, I would like to say a few words about the major tasks ahead.

             The figures reflecting the attendance to its first edition
in Athens, 2006, show that the participation of representatives from
developing countries was low. Tunis Agenda paragraph 78 provides for
balanced geographic representation in the convening of the IGF. In a
multi-stekeholder and open forum, the accomplishment of this provision
requires that specific measures be taken in the future in order to
ensure the adequate representation of developed and developing
countries's views. We consider that balanced regional representation
is necessarily applicable not only to Government representation, but
also to other stakeholders. In our view, balanced representation is an
essential requisite for the legitimacy of the IGF possible results, as
defined by the IGF mandate.

           This same balance should be observed with respect to the
composition of the panels of all main sessions of the IGF in the Rio
meeting. In this sense, it would be recommendable that each
stakeholder group appoints by consensus a representative with
internationally recognized capacity to participate as panelists in
each main session. The secretariat could facilitate, through its
website, the receiving and processing of such suggestions.

             Similar principles could also serve as a guidance to the
United Nations Secretary-General in the convening of the
multi-stakeholder bureau described in Tunis Agenda paragraph 78 (b).
Taking the evolving nature of the IGF into account, and in view of the
wide range of issues that need to be addressed, our Delegations
believe that the experience accumulated since the 1st IGF allows us to
envisage the establishment of such an structure as a goal for the 3rd
IGF in India. At the Rio meeting, in the absence of a bureau, the
Advisory Group is expected to help the Chairman to conduct of business
during the meetings. The Advisory Group provides also a privileged
locus to consider the creation of such formal structure.

             In Athens in 2006, the IGF proved a fruitful space for
multi-stakeholder high-level dialogue on openness, access, security
and diversity aspects of Internet governance. In Rio, the thematic
scope will be widened so as to encompass issues related to the
management of Critical Internet Resources, as provided by Tunis Agenda
paragraph 72 (j). Our governments hope that, in its next three planned
editions, the IGF can evolve into a results-oriented body, so as to
provide the international community with substantive recommendations
on its findings and on the future of Internet governance as a whole.

Thank you.

--

Carlos A. Afonso
Rio       Brasil