[governance] IGF Geneva -- the repeating arguments...

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Sep 4 10:08:43 EDT 2007

At the open session yesterday we had a reproduction of the same -- a
group which concentrates on avoiding any discussion which might bring to
the fore the debate on the current names and numbers governance
structure, reciting in unison the same arguments. Could this group be
convinced that:

Of course CIRs are complex, but all other main themes of the IGF
(access, security, diversity, openness) are complex.

Of course to just say "Critical Internet Resources" may encompass many
issues, but so are the other ones (we may perfectly well ask: "what is
security, what is diversity and so on).

In all of those themes there have been exhaustive discussions in other
fora, many papers have been written and so on -- and obviously the
issues have not been exhausted.

The discussion of any of them cannot be reduced to one or two workshops.

So, why there is an insistence on the part of some in treating CIRs as a
different animal on the basis of arguments which are valid for all the
other themes?

Why can't we discuss all the five main themes on an equal footing?

It seems some defend dismissing the CIRs theme out of specific
professional or institutional interests -- these might not, I am afraid,
coincide with the general interest.

--c.a.

--

Carlos A. Afonso