[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 09:26:52 EDT 2007

Strong recommendation to identify speakers for the main sessionsin
consultation with the stakeholders who organized workshops related to this
track. speakers can be taken among the panelists of their workshops or
outside of them.

For instance, the MAG could interact with the organizers of the 3 workshops
on Access to identify people who could speak / introduce discussion in the
main session devoted to access. The same could be done with the other
sessions. More transparency in the process, more involvement of those who
actually cared to organize workshops and better articulation between the
bottom-up initiated workshops and the more "official" main sessions.

Let's make it simple.

Just a suggestion.

Best

Bertrand

On 9/3/07, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Some time very soon someone will need to decide on speakers for the
> IGF main sessions.
>
> The IGF in Rio starts in about 10 weeks, there is no money to bring
> people (to the best of my knowledge.)  There was general sense from
> the review of the Athens IGF that panels should be smaller, 4, 5 or 6
> people, not the 12-16 we saw in Athens.
>
> The panels must be acceptable to all stakeholders, we should all feel
> our views have an opportunity to be represented.  Somehow these 4, 5
> or 6 people should represent stakeholder, gender, geographic
> diversity, and of course be expert on the issues.
>
> It would be very helpful to hear suggestions as to how to form these
> panels. Perhaps we will be able to find panelists from among the
> workshop participants? Or, can we --the caucus and others-- suggest
> individuals, expert on Critical Internet Resources, Access, Security,
> Openness and Diversity, for these panels?
>
> Anyone suggested should already be planning to be in Rio.
>
> Ideas much appreciated.
>
> There is not time for a neat, open, democratic process. Time ran out
> with the delay in renewing the MAG's membership.  And I don't know
> how the advisory group's discussions on speaker selection will pan
> out over the next two days.  So if we make suggestions I can't make
> any promise they'll be accepted.  But we can try, and apologies in
> advance if the suggestions can't be taken up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam

Bertrand de La Chapelle

Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")