[governance] IGF public consultation

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Sep 4 05:10:37 EDT 2007

You are right, Jeanette -- we missed a good opportunity, and were saved
in some way in the last minute by Anriette's statement, which touched
some crucial issues, like the role and "modus operandi" of the two
co-chairs, the renewing and the process of the MAG and so on. Her
statemens were made on behalf of APC of course, but were quite relevant
in my view and I quote some portions in full:

On the MAG -- "...it would be important not to again have a delay in the
renewing of the mandate, because it has made your task so much more
difficult. And in terms of renewal and rotation, we endorse the
suggestion that there's some turnover of membership, but it's also
important to have continuity. And we would propose roughly a process
that would create some kind of nomination process to bring in about 30%,
30 to 40% of new people every year. And aside from a nomination process,
a transparent process.  It might also be good to link this to
assessment.  It might even be useful to ask members of the Advisory
Group to do a self-assessment of how effective they feel they have been
in fulfilling their role. I think that it would also be important to
achieve better balance between stakeholders on the Advisory Group,
particularly with the input of civil society and also regional
diversity. And then to ensure that the Advisory Group that is
constituted actually operates as such.  The issue of resources which
have to be addressed. And as we know from the current Advisory Group,
because there isn't financial resources to support participation, it
becomes de facto a group of people that can afford to come or that are
geographically close to the location of the meeting.  And that's just
not good enough. I think that -- the nomination process, that's very
important. [...] I think whereas it's not a good idea from our
perspective to create too many rules, we do feel that the work process
of the Advisory Group should be more structured. Participation requires
transparency, it requires good information and communication and flow.
It also requires accountability, and a little bit more procedure, time
frames for submission on aspects of the Advisory Group's work. Time
frames for submitting content, comment on the agenda, names of speakers.
  So to facilitate participation in that way. I know that virtual
participation is very important, and we appreciate that, but it's not a
substitute for a good, solid, transparent process that allows people
over time to give input to the work of the Advisory Group. And then I
think also to endorse perhaps what some of the other speakers have said,
informality is very important.[...] I think it's important to not lose
that role of the IGF where it creates spaces for people to just network.
  And I think the Advisory Group needs to keep that in mind. I also
think the process, the internal work process of the Advisory Group is
very important, that there's clear communication within the group.  At
times today, it felt like some of the Advisory Group members were
speaking, because they needed to speak, when, in fact, ideally, they
should be listening, because the closed consultation is the space for
Advisory Group members to speak. The open consultation is the space for
Advisory Group members to listen. But I can also understand why that has
been -- it's been difficult for the Advisory Group, because you [the
MAG] haven't really had an opportunity, perhaps, to work enough on this
IGF. And I think, finally, just to look at the review and assessment
process. [...] it's very important to use that and to have an approach
of evolving the functioning, the rules of procedure, terms of reference
of the Advisory Group. [...] let's have a cycle every year where the
Advisory Group can reflect on its own functioning and rules of procedure
and build on that."

On the co-chairs -- "...the other principle we would like to endorse is
the idea of the host country co-chair role.  It's a legitimate
principle.  It's important that governments take the IGF seriously and
that they participate.  And we have the president of Greece having
played a really effective role in hosting. And at the same time, it is
important to avoid the host country co-chair or the host country
government having undue influence over the agenda and over who
participates.  And we have to take a long view on this.  There are
different governments who will host various IGFs. So while we feel as
APC that too many rules is not a good idea, but at the same time let's
avoid setting precedents that we might regret in the future. And again
here, a review and assessment process will be very helpful after this
IGF  to look at the co-chair role."

frt rgds

--c.a.

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
> Hi, in case you didn't notice there was no caucus statement yesterday.
> While the business sector had interventions on almost every issue on the
> agenda, the caucus didn't have a single one. There were only
> contributions by ICT for Change, APC, some other organizations and a few
> individuals. This is a missed opportunity to influence the discussion on
> the further institutionalization of the IGF. It also makes the role of
> cs people in the advisory group more difficult. We have less papers and
> interventions to refer to in the advisory group meeting than other
> stakeholders.
> jeanette

Carlos A. Afonso
Rio       Brasil
Projeto Sacix - Apoio técnico a iniciativas de inclusão digital
com software livre, mantido pela Rits em colaboração com o
Coletivo Digital. Para mais informações:
www.sacix.org.br   www.rits.org.br   www.coletivodigital.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org