[governance] Re: Comcast Blocks Some Internet Traffic

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Oct 26 02:12:59 EDT 2007

Ian Peter wrote:

> And are you suggesting that no technical effort go into improving protocols
> and network infrastructure to minimize packet loss?

I think you and Lee are colliding on simply different point of view of
what constitutes packet loss.

Lee is right, the net depends on the ability to toss packets into the
dumpster when resources require (or when traffic management mechanisms
like RED [random early discard] are needed to coax an excessively
exuberant TCP stream to slow down.

On the other hand, it would be bad if packets were deliberately
discarded for the wrong reasons.

What are those wrong reasons?  I think we all agree that a carrier ought
not to drop packets that are from an application that competes with an
application that the provider sells as well.

But it gets a bit more iffy when we consider some people paying more for
elevated service, creating a smaller amount of resources through which
to squeeze the remaining traffic.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org