[governance] Re: Comcast Blocks Some Internet Traffic

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Thu Oct 25 15:13:36 EDT 2007

You're missing my point.  Most roads are not toll roads, and cars are
self-powered, not powered by the road itself.  Packets are not
self-powered, their transfer is powered by the network.  This is a huge
difference.

We have the same goal here, I'm just suggesting that if you use an
inappropriate metaphor you will be less effective in making the more
important point which is that packets should travel in a non-discriminatory
manner, according to the paradigm of common carriage (which can apply to
both roads and data networks).

Don't overstate the point in your metaphor, because then opponents will
attack the rhetoric in order to attack the message and that just muddies
the rhetorical water.  We agree on the message.

Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org