[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: Comcast Blocks Some Internet Traffic

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Mon Oct 22 19:58:39 EDT 2007

Milton, this distinction is not flip-flop -- it is hard to
really separate both. One example: you download flawlessly on http port
80 and get bogged down in a p2p transfer, even when you know for sure
both sides are well connected. This is not traffic management, or it is,
with a purpose: exactly to go against net neutrality for reasons the
user does not know about and/or have not been negotiated with him/her.

I have signed several broadband contracts, and I have never seen a
clause which tells me they are entitled to prohibit me from using a
certain port or protocol service from my home machine; they do say I am
entitled to xxx Mb/s up and yyy Mb/s down, and this is as far as they
should go in bandwidth management -- of course they go far beyond this.

They are just making sure you keep within what they estimate is the
usage of their bandwidth resources which gives them the most money --
business as usual...

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org