[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: Comcast Blocks Some Internet Traffic

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Mon Oct 22 15:26:43 EDT 2007

I agree with Carlos, across the network of networks aka as the Internet, many nets, both corporate and university and governmental, do the same/similar traffic shaping.

This is mainly to stop bandwidth hogs from, well, hogging all the bandwidth. It's mainly about the money tis true.

You could see that as a neutral policy prescription or a discriminatory treatment of bandwidth hogs, oh I mean users of p2p services ; )

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> ca at rits.org.br 10/22/2007 1:31 PM >>>
The same happens in Brazil, albeit in a more sophisticated fashion.
Certain services might be totally blocked (like a ssh connection, or the
mx port 25 if you want to run a mail server in your home), or degraded
(like p2p and voip traffic). The big broadband operators recognize they
do it and say that, as they are the good and wonderful people they are,
they are doing this to protect us, their "valuable", dummy customers.
Anatel, our FCC, feels powerless to do anything on this (or is afraid
to), except in extreme cases, like when BR Telecom blocked Skype traffic
altogether.

So, user traffic is blocked, manipulated, degraded, or outrightly peeked
at (and selectively recorded at incredibly high speeds, like the
infamous AT&T+NSA practice denounced by EFF in the USA) in nearly all
countries. It seems fashionable to single out China, Cuba and a few
other countries (like the RSF list of baddies) as the villains, but the
USA and many other "democracies" are doing the same (with more or less
sophistication).

Net neutrality! Where? Where?

[] fraterno

--c.a.