[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Oct 16 10:38:45 EDT 2007

Yes, indeed. So that's cleared up. I will let the other readers decide who was suffering from the initial "misconception." Just a word to the wise: where there's economic/financial considerations at stake, there's public policy, too.

> A /24 is routed the same way a /8 is routed, with BGP4 (usually), so
> no difference there.

I don't have time to clear up this misconception. Let's just say that the decision about who gets a /8 and who gets a /24 has something to do with routing as well as address conservation.

> AFAIK, RIRs don't impose routing aggregation constraints, although

Interesting, a few years ago I was told that if we had any competition among RIRs we would instantly lose all route aggregation....

> they DO keep aggregation in mind whenever possible when making
> allocations.

Hmm, so would you say that "The way RIRs allocate addresses has a lot to do with how routing takes place"? ;-)

> > and the need to register addresses with
> > RIRs all have some kind of impact.
>
> In the RIRs I am familiar with, if it's an allocation or a PI
> (End-User) assignment, the RIR does the registration in the RIR
> Database.  LIRs do enter PA assignments in the appropriate RIR Db, and
> these can be routed by an entity that is NOT the LIR, but this
> requires an entry in a Routing Registry (not neccesarily the same as
> an RIR).  In other words, it's difficult to route a PA assignment
> block that is NOT registered in an RIR Db, but this is the task of an
> LIR, NOT an RIR.

To shorten what you say above, "the need to register addresses with RIRs has some kind of impact on routing."

This is yet another one of those bizarre McTim exchanges in which you essentially confirm what I asserted but nevertheless insist that you are disagreeing with me. Hope you enjoyed it.

> Why? With the birth of the two newest RIRs folk building filters just
> have two more databases for their scripts to query.  I don't see any
> "major effects".  Maybe you can ask the folk at Syracuse if they have

Tell me: what reason is there to create a RIR? Does it contribute to route aggregation or not? A simple yes or no on that last question would suffice.

> had to change their routing policies since LACNIC and AfriNIC came
> into existence?

I am sure they did not. But that was not my point. Do you think Latin American and African ISPs changed their routing policies?

> I guess it's concievable, `i just can't see the IGF making these
> decisions.

IGF doesn't make any decisions. IGF talks about things. Are you still looking for the UN-takes-over-the-Internet bogeyman under your bed?

--MM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org