[governance] Russia plans to create independent web / internet

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun Oct 14 08:00:43 EDT 2007

At 23:39 10/13/2007  -0400, you wrote:
>However, these linkages could easily be superseded or broken if they
>start to run counter to higher-level government, military and
>economic interests in specific nations.

The point here is that ICANN/IETF/etc. are developing the Internet as
it is today; governments have freedom to choose to be part of this
solution, or to stay outside, and just use what's drafter, accepted,
and approved through the different processes. I can give  you an
example: Russia is a member of the Council of Europe, which drafter
the European Cybercrime Convention. When the Convention was ratified
by 5 countries (now there are more), it started to act. Then the
Russian President has ordered the Foreign Ministry to sign it, and
the FM found out they don't like some of the texts. Guess what - it
was too late to change them. So, while they could have participated
in the drafting, they decided not to. When the other EU+ countries
accepted it, Russia had no way to influence a change. I am sure
that's a lesson they will remember, when they think about the next
thing they will not participate in:-) That's why we all are making
this outreach, and Russian engineers will start to go to IETF
meetings, and they are already participating at ICANN meetings -
because whether they go or not, decisions are being taken that
influence the Russian users, and for the whole country is better to
be part of this, rather than stay outside and just implement the standards.

>So I still think this article is a potentially significant signal.
>True, the sourcing of the smoke signals is flimsy as you point out,
>and from my many years of China-watching in the mid-1990s I am
>familiar with all the tricks.

There are substential differences between China and Russia. One,
would not make any conclusions on China, if he/she is having
experience in Russia. I don't know how the other way works. If you
say you understand the Russians because you understand the Chinese,
then I have to admit I can't say I understand the Chinese based on my
experience in Russia/East Europe.

Veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org