[governance] Re: Russia plans to create independent web / internet

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sat Oct 13 17:42:39 EDT 2007

At 13:27 10/13/2007  -0400, you wrote:
>At 3:37 PM -0400 10/12/07, veni markovski wrote:
> >this is one time when it is worth beleving what you see... AFTER
> you check the facts.
>
>hmmm ... it appears that I don't know to check facts before I post.

I don't know if you know or not. You wrote "Attached is an
authoritative translation.  Mr Putin has indeed sealed the
matter.  Sources, Russian, impeccable, at the center of the work, can
be supplied."

When you speak like that, and then in the translation we see that
"government" = "sources in uniform", then certainly you need to check
facts. Also, when you say what Mr. Putin is doing, it looks like you
talked to him, and you can point to a statement of his - something,
which I did, by the way, in my blog entry.

>This sort of insult is what make this list a pleasure and the dialog
>effective ...

Oh, you are insulted? Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel that way. I
actually used the same phrase you used ">This is one time when it is
worth believing what you see ... " without meaning in particulary You
by using "you". Hope that makes the dialog more effective -
something, which you, I am sure, also intend.

>Yes, members of this list have been in touch with all of the above -
>in fact over a protracted period (certainly also at ICANN meetings,
>but hardly there as the main focus ...), working on the outcome
>reported in the Russian article.

Do you mean, someone in this list actually inspired the article? That
is, someone here is the "source in uniform", quoted in the article?
Or I have misunderstood you. Because the outcome reported in the
article is not the existance of some new, Russian, Internet. By the
way, you may have seen that this was not the only article; it was
reported in couple of more media, including one, which is not very
friendly to Mr. Putin, that is, Mr. Kasparov's media
(http://www.kasparov.ru/material.php?id=46B080FD769E0). Btw, that
same article talks about some manual of registration and
administration of multilingual domains in Russian, Ukranian,
Bulgarian and Belorussian languages. I am a Bulgarian, chairman of
the Internet Society in the country, and somehow have not seen
something like that developed, launched, or enacted. Perhaps you
could bring some light here, based on your knowledge?

>No, I do not understand Russian, but the file had to transit my hard
>drive, from Russia, to get to the post.

Oh, so let me make clear - you don't understand Russian, so you
didn't know that the translation is not really precise, and while it
quotes "governmental sources", it actually is based on some rumors,
not on the official documents, which you could find on the Kremlin site?

Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog:
http://blog.veni.com

The opinions expressed above are those of the author,
not of any organizations, associated with or related to
the author in any given way.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org